L'ECKLECT® Adore (Exclusive Interview): Tony Gum

This month were all about the future leaders, the kids of the 90s making a strong sway upon our space. The creative kids with great style, advantaged by the fact that they can use styles from all ages from the 50 right up to 2090. They blend the past with the future and still live well in the present. One that has caught our eye is an artistic splendid soul that goes by the name Tony Gum, currently based in Cape Town this young lady sure got us inspired.











The Interview



1. Who is Tony Gum?
Tony Gum (Zipho Gum) is such character, very goofy but extremely ambitious towards her dreams.
2. Describe your style in 3 words.
Eclectic, unusual and straightforward.
3. Where do you come from and where are you based currently?
I am from the beautiful mother city, Cape Town and I am currently based here.
4. What influences your style?
Religions, cultures and your everyday person is my inspiration. I capture different elements from different people to form my personal style.
5. Where do you get most of your clothes?
I get most of my items from relatives, markets and second hand stores. Surprisingly, I am not a shopaholic. Don’t get me wrong, I adore clothes – but I don’t feel the need to buy a pricey item when I could just make it myself. 
6. What style item can you not live without?
I love, love, love having accessories in my braids (beads and feathers). I know it might seem bizarre, but without them, I feel like my braids look dull.
7. What do you think of local (where you live) style?
Cape Town as a whole is very much intact with the whole chilled, laid back vibe. But you get those people who stick out like a sore thumb (in terms of their fashion sense). But they make it seem effortless - that is what I love.
8. Which Summer/Spring 2011 haute couture collection can you not get enough of?
The amazing, effortless S/S collection by Paul Smith, London.
9. Are there any achievements you’d like the world to know about?
Making it this far is an accomplishment for me. I feel extremely blessed and I believe that there are many more blessings to come.
10. What advice would you give young(er) people trying to make it in the fashion industry?
Work with what you’ve got (that’s the best advice I’ve ever received). Don’t have a “wishful” mind, never limit yourself, be ambitious - strive for bigger and better things.


For more Glamourous Tony get clicking at http://www.tonygum.blogspot.com
& the December Issue Of Seventeen Mag could be a great start to get to know our young style icon

Comments

Popular Posts